Oplan: Iwas-Paputok

PrintPrintEmailEmailPDFPDF
Healthbeat 2001 No. 10.jpgHealthbeat 2001 No. 10.jpg

New on the DOH having alerted all its hospitals starting at six in the evening of December 31 to tend to possible blast victims of New Year celebration dominated new dailies on the last day of the year. (Manila Standard, Dec. 31, 2000)

During and after the revelries, people who were injured from using firecrackers around the country were taken to hospitals for treatment. Majority of the reported cases came from Metro Manila. According to reports, 87% were males and 78% involved blast and burn injuries. News reports said that at least 7% of the cases required amputation. (Today, Jan 2)

Health authorities said that firecracker injuries dropped by 70% this year. They attributed the significant decrease to a series of setbacks and disasters that left Filipinos with less to celebrate and little money for fireworks. Of the 487 recorded cases this year from December 21 to January 1, only 196 were reportedly from Metro Manila. The DOH said that the bombings that occurred shortly before the New Year could have made people more conscious of the dangers posed by pyrotechnics. (Malaya, Jan. 2)

The DOH reported the death of a one-year old girl who was hit by a stray bullet during the weeklong holiday celebrations. Experts said that the 487 cases of amputated fingers, mangled hands and stray bullet wounds were very much lower compared to the 1,562 recorded last year. They saidt hat the same can be said as to the number of stray bullet cases, with only 23 compared to the 62 reported cases last year. The data was based on the reports relayed to the DOH monitoring center by 32 government and 10 private hospitals nationwide. (Tempo, Jan. 2)

The other death reported was that of a 19-year old pharmacy female student who died after ingesting a plateful of watusi-laced spaghetti. (Phil. Star, Jan. 4)

Image: